And what’s going to drive this “holiday” season? Faux fur, brightly-hued jeans, iPads for fifth-graders and buying stuff online.
This is according to Customer Growth Partners, the market research and consulting firm, and trade association the International Council of Shopping Centers, in recently released forecasts.
Back-to-school is a huge deal for retailers because it is so often a telling performance indicator of the holiday shopping season, when stores generate a disproportionate chunk of their annual sales.
Here’s a few other hot items and trends for this year’s back-to-school:
1) Tablets and smartphones will be purchased for middle and upper-elementary school kids, such as fifth-, sixth- and seventh-graders. The advanced technology is penetrating the younger grades.
2) Although high cotton prices will put a damper on apparel purchases, shoppers will, for the most part, acquiesce.
3) Expect to see bold looks — from fur to tribal prints — as well as minimalist cuts and simple fabrics — on retailers’ shelves.
4) Lace looked like a popular fall trend even before Kate and William tied the knot.
5) In footwear, which CPG predicts will be a strong back-to-school seller, cutout booties will continue to make a splash.
6) Jeans are available in every color of the rainbow and then some. Traditionalists can ease the transition with cobalt, which complements any wardrobe, while the adventuresome reach for brighter hues.
Source: Daily Finance, July 2011